There has been lots of discussion about “Kits”, learning to solder, improving our soldering skills etc. This is certainly a useful skill in the Amateur Radio hobby, whether building and antenna, repairing a power cable or building a useful device for your shack. We have added this section to provide some resources for kits, parts, tools to build the “work-bench” in your Ham Shack.
- General electronic Kits: Click on titles to visit sites
- Rainbow kits Simple to advanced Kits (learn to solder)
- Carl’s Electronics Simple to advanced Kits (learn to solder)
- Four State QRP Ham Radio related kits by a Ham club
- QRP Labs Ham Radio related kits by Hams
- Adafruit Kits, Cool digital devices, Arduino & Raspberry Pi accessories
- SparkFun Single card computers & Accessories
- Jameco Parts & Tools
- Newark Parts & tools
- Allelectronics Surplus, Parts & Tools
- Midnightsolutions DIY Digital mode single band Transceivers
- Heathkit HONESTLY! they are NOT dead, back and selling Kits!
- ARRL.org Yes, the ARRL also markets kits
- MFJ Yep MFJ is also in the Kit business, some fun offerings here!
- American Science & Surplus Fun stuff, Games + electronics Kits
- DXEngineering Yes, also in the kit game
- PowerWerx Wire, Power devices, Anderson “PowerPole” connectors
- Palomar Engineers
- The Wireman
- Digikey Parts & Tools
- Mouser Parts & Tools
- StemToyExperts Great items/kits for Kids & Adults
- Servo City Extensive collection of Robotic/RC components
- Midway electronics QRP Transceiver kits
- Five Dash QRP Transceivers and Receivers
- Bliss Radio QRP Transceivers
- QRPme Lots of Great Ham radio projects
- K1EL systems Lots of really simple and fun Kits
- Radio-Kits British company selling Great kits
- Spectrum Communications Another British Kit Mfg
- Kits and Parts dot com
- Quasarelectronics another British company
- SotaBeams Antenna and RF items
- uBITX Kit radio
- TAPR Tucson Amateur Packet Radio
- QRP Kits wow, gotta check this stuff out!
- Fox Delta Pretty advanced stuff here
- RF parts Company
- Antique Electronic Supply
- Antique Radio Parts
- Old Radio Parts
- Antique Radio parts guide
- Antenna Rotor parts & Repair
You will need to outfit your “Electronic Workbench” with a quality soldering iron/station with replaceable tip preferably multi sized/shaped tips, brass wool to clean the tip, rosin core solder ( I prefer the smallest diameter I can find) de-soldering wick, liquid rosin, small “nipper” type wire cutters, small pliers for bending, manipulating wire, tweezers for handling small components, a magnifying glass for inspecting small work.
The tool list could go much farther, I’ll allow folks to send me their “Ideal tool kit” ideas to expand this area, and will try to include options for purchasing a “Dream kit” or at least a Electronic repair “Go-Kit” for field repairs.
Please send us any/all Kit suppliers we could add to our above list, I’d like to create a comprehensive list for the beginner to expert involving our Radio hobby including supporting STEAAM and Scouting functions + Robotics and Radio Control?
A Nice Soldering tutorial https://www.aaroncake.net/electronics/solder.htm